News

Rape charge dropped in downtown Macon bar incident

A rape charge has been dropped in the case of an alleged assault at 550 Blues in March, authorities said.

Christopher Edward Deeb, 28, had been charged with rape stemming from allegations that he sexually assaulted a 19-year-old Macon woman at the Riverside Drive bar.

Nancy Scott Malcor, a Bibb County assistant district attorney, said the case was dismissed due to a lack of evidence.

Charges still are pending against Deeb in Bibb County State Court for allegedly furnishing alcohol to a minor, which is a misdemeanor.

Deeb’s attorney, Franklin J. Hogue, said Deeb and his family are “thrilled at the dismissal.”

Messages left for Deeb at 550 Blues were not returned Wednesday.

Hogue said Deeb returned to his job as a bartender upon his release from jail. He was released on bond the same day he was arrested, March 26, Hogue said.

“The club is open and doing business as usual,” he said.

The 19-year-old woman told police that Deeb gave her drinks when she visited the bar late March 18 and later told her she was “too drunk to drive” home, according to a police report. She decided to stay and sleep on a couch, the report said.

The woman alleged that Deeb attacked her sometime between 2:30 and 4 a.m. March 19.

Information from The Telegraph’s archives was included in this report.

To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.

  Comments