Firefighters battled flames Monday evening at the McCullough Funeral Home in Warner Robins.
Crews were called to the brick building on South Houston Lake Road at about 5:30 p.m., according to Houston County dispatchers.
Lt. Ross Moulton said a vent pipe in the crematorium overheated and caught the attic on fire which set off a dozen sprinklers.
People inside the building evacuated but the blaze was contained to the attic with some water damage to the rear of the building, Moulton said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
Firefighters were on the scene for hours extinguishing the fire, cleaning up and supervising reconnection of utilities.