Dooly chase ends with wreck, arrests in Houston County

WARNER ROBINS — A high-speed police chase that started in Dooly County on Wednesday afternoon ended in Houston County with a wreck, a search and two people taken into custody, police said.

A Dooly County sheriff’s deputy gave chase after the driver of a small car refused to pull over and the chase ensued onto Ga. 26 into south Houston County where the car was wrecked near Elko Road, said Houston County sheriff’s Lt. Jon Holland.

The suspects jumped out of the 2007 Saturn ION and ran on foot as the car continued forward and crashed, said Dooly County sheriff’s Capt. David Jones.

The driver, 21-year-old Jerome Reeves, of Albany, who fled on foot into a heavily wooded area, was captured by Houston County sheriff’s K-9 deputy Esso and his handler, Sgt. Clay Chambers, said Holland.

A Georgia State Patrol helicopter had the driver in view but deputies on the ground couldn’t see him because the area was so heavily wooded and swampy, Jones said. The dog led deputies right to him, Jones said.

The passenger, 25-year-old Terrance Price, of Leesburg, was apprehended about 6:30 p.m. by Houston County sheriff’s deputies Daniel Glass and Dan Jones without incident after they drove through the area in an unmarked vehicle and spotted the suspect at the edge of the woods, Holland said.

The search had actually been called off when the Houston County deputies made another search through the area, said Laswanda Davis, a GSP communications analyst.

Holland said he suspects that Price may have called someone with his whereabouts and was waiting for a ride.

The chase, which reached speeds of 110 miles per hour on the emergency strip of Interstate 75, began about 3 p.m. near mile marker 121 in the Unadilla area, Jones said. A Dooly County sheriff’s deputy had attempted to pull Reeves over for weaving and following too closely.

The chase ensued north on the interstate onto Ga. 26. By then, two Dooly County sheriff’s cars and one GSP car were in pursuit, Jones said.

About a mile and a half from the interstate on Ga. 26, the Reeves slammed on the brakes in what Jones said he believes was an attempt to cause the law enforcement officers to crash their vehicles.

The chase continued about another mile east on Ga. 26 when the car pulled off onto a dirt road near a heavily wooded area, Jones said. This is where the men abandoned the car and let it wreck, he said.

To contact writer Becky Purser, call 923-3109, extension 243.