Macon man gets 20 years in beating, kidnapping case

A Macon man was sentenced to 20 years in prison after beating a woman, tying her up and driving her around the state in 2007.

Alexis Dewayne Haywood, 46, of Henry Street, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, kidnapping with bodily injury and auto theft Monday in Bibb County Superior Court. He must also serve 20 years on probation after his release from prison.

Haywood went to visit his son Aug. 4, 2007, at his ex-girlfriend’s home on Hartley Bridge Road, said Elizabeth Bobbitt, an assistant Bibb County district attorney.

While there, Haywood asked for permission to take his son to the store and the toddler’s mother, Stacey Daniely, refused. Daniely typically bathed her son before taking him to her mother’s home while she worked in the evening. She put the boy in the bathtub and went into another bathroom to get ready for work, Bobbitt said.

Haywood went into the bathroom and struck Daniely in the head, causing her head to strike the toilet. He continued to beat her on the floor.

“He struck her several times,” Bobbitt said. Daniely suffered a broken jaw, a broken eye socket and other wounds.

“She has lasting injuries to her face,” the prosecutor said.

Haywood bound Daniely’s hands and feet with packing tape and a telephone cord. He took their son to Daniely’s father’s home and then returned to Daniely’s home, where he placed her — still bound — in the back seat of her car.

Haywood drove around Macon and at one point picked up a friend. He drove to a Raceway gas station on Mercer University Drive and asked the friend to go inside the store to make a purchase, Bobbitt said.

When the friend took too long, Haywood went inside, and Daniely managed to open a rear car door.

“She fell out (of the car),” Bobbitt said. But Haywood saw her and put her back inside.

A woman from Thomaston called 911 after seeing Daniely fall from the car, but she was unable to give police details.

Haywood drove to Juliette, the Atlanta area and was on his way to South Carolina when a police officer spotted him in Washington, in east Georgia.

Bobbitt said Haywood was speeding and lost control of the car. He was taken into custody after the wreck. Before his sentencing Haywood apologized for his actions.

“I just regret it,” he said. “I don’t consider myself a violent person.

“I’m very sorry it happened.”