A Macon family of six managed to safely escape their burning home Sunday night but the house sustained significant damage.
Macon-Bibb Fire Department training chief Donnie Mercer said the fire started with an electrical overload in a basement bedroom at 2623 Kent Drive at about 11 p.m. Sunday.
Crews returned to the scene today to douse hot spots that flared up overnight, Mercer said.
The Central Georgia Chapter of the American Red Cross provided the family with food, clothing and temporary housing following the fire, according to a news release from the organization.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Mercer said the parents were in the living room when the fire started and got the children out safely once they discovered the blaze in the basement.