UPDATE: Infant killed in Macon house fire identified

The name of the infant killed earlier today in a house fire on Beddingfield Avenue in south Macon has been released.

Quantavious Williams, 8 months old, was trapped in the home and died from injuries sustained in the fire, Bibb County Coroner Leon Jones said. The boy's father, Leroy Williams Sr., was able to get two of his other children out of the house.

Williams and 1-year-old Leroy Williams Jr. were taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia with severe burns. Jones said both probably would be taken to the Joseph Still Burn Center in Augusta. The other child, Unisha Williams, 2, was treated for smoke inhalation at the hospital.

"The house was fully engulfed when the fire department arrived," Jones said. According to fire department officials, the fire was reported to 911 at 11:10 a.m. The cause of the fire is under investigation, said District Fire Chief Cliff Rushin of the Macon-Bibb Fire Department.

Bertha Hodges, who lives two doors down from the Williams family, said Leroy Williams Sr. knocked on her door and asked her to call 911. He was holding two of his sons, she said.

"He and his babies got hurt," she said. "It looked like he had been sleeping. He was burned on his back, his arms, everything."

The fire department had contained the blaze in the one-story house by noon.

David Bonner, the brother-in-law of the burned man, said the family has eight children. Fire officials said it appears that only Williams and the three children were inside the home at the time of the fire.

Bonner said the Williams family had been living at the house for two years. He said the family has had electrical fires at two other residences, but no one was injured during those incidents.

"It's really difficult," Bonner said. "In the last two fires, no one was hurt. We're really broken up. We don't know what is going on."

Rushin said gas had been turned off at the house prior to the fire, making it unlikely to be the cause. However, the house still had electricity, he said.

Funeral arrangements are pending at Hicks & Sons Mortuary at 2233 Anthony Road.

For more on this developing story, return to later today and read Saturday's Telegraph.