Macon-Bibb County firefighters put out a grease fire in the kitchen at the Krystal restaurant 2863 Pio Nono Ave. late this morning.
Firefighters said the small fire, which broke out shortly after 11 a.m., was contained to the kitchen. Crews remained on the scene using exhaust fans to clear the building of smoke.
Employees said they were preparing for inspection when they noticed smoke coming from near the floor. Workers and a customer fled the building and waited outside as firefighters worked on the fire.
The restaurant remained closed at about 11:30 a.m. Firefighters were waiting for a food inspector to assess the restaurant because a dry powder extinguisher was used to put out the flames, said Capt. Dewey Davis of the Macon-Bibb County Fire Dept.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
While no one was hurt in the fire, firefighters did administer oxygen to one employee who was having difficulty breathing.
Restaurant executives expected to reopen later this afternoon.