1. Georgia Tech is for real: The Yellow Jackets had some questions entering the season, but they have answered them all so far. Georgia Tech's 2-0 start in conference play has been impressive, and the Yellow Jackets look like legitimate contenders in the Coastal Division.
2. Hokies are struggling: Next up for the Yellow Jackets is Virginia Tech on Thursday night. The Hokies should have lost to Marshall on Saturday but pulled out a triple-overtime win, and they almost lost to East Carolina. This Virginia Tech program is clearly not as strong as it was a few years ago, and it faces a tough road to get back into the conference's elite.
3. Another big day for Winston: We'll say it again. The competition wasn't the toughest (this week it was Bethune-Cookman), but Jameis Winston had another strong day for the Florida State offense. The Seminoles' redshirt freshman had two more touchdown passes.
4. Balance for Tigers: A lot of the focus on Clemson's team is on its high-powered offense, but the Tigers showed off plenty of defense against N.C. State on Thursday. A key stat: The Tigers' opponents have converted only 14-of-48 attempts on third down.
5. Hurricanes keep rolling: Miami sits at 3-0 after its blowout of Savannah State (77-7 counts as a blowout, right?), and the Hurricanes have one more non-conference game before opening ACC play against Georgia Tech on Oct. 5. That could be a showdown game in the Coastal Division. But the Hurricanes have to focus on beating South Florida on Saturday before they can focus on that game with the Yellow Jackets.