1. Powerful Hurricanes: Miami's offense struggled quite a bit Saturday, and the Hurricanes got plenty of help from the mistake-prone Florida Gators, but Miami's win over Florida was a big one. Miami has a couple of easy games coming up before jumping into ACC play, and the Hurricanes should have plenty of momentum by then.
2. Clemson needs to stay focused: With an easy win over FCS South Carolina State out of the way, the Tigers have games with N.C. State (Thursday), Wake Forest, Syracuse and Boston College coming up before their showdown with Florida State on Oct. 19.
3. Addazio makes early difference: Boston College has beaten Villanova and Wake Forest the first two weeks, not exactly a powerhouse schedule. But the Eagles already have won as many games in Steve Addazio's first season as they won all of last year.
4. Different Duke: The Blue Devils only beat Memphis, again not a powerhouse, but Saturday's game against the Tigers was one past Duke teams might have lost. Duke's program just seems different with David Cutcliffe as the head coach.
5. Cavaliers not ready for prime time: Virginia's season-opening win over BYU looks pretty stout after the Cougars' win Saturday over a ranked Texas team. But the Cavaliers were not ready for the next step up in competition as Oregon won 59-10 in Charlottesville.