TOP FIVE FROM SATURDAY
1. Georgia Tech and Clemson look like they're for real. The Yellow Jackets and Tigers met in the 2009 ACC title game but struggled last year. Both teams earned big road wins Saturday, Georgia Tech at N.C. State and Clemson at Virginia Tech. They both have manageable schedules the rest of this month until they face off in Atlanta on Oct. 29.
2. N.C. State could sure use Russell Wilson. The Wolfpack have more troubles than just at quarterback, but Wilson looks like a Heisman candidate at Wisconsin now that he has left the Wolfpack behind. N.C. State, on the other hand, has dropped to 1-4.
3. Wake Forest could be bowl bound. The Demon Deacons are 3-1 overall and 2-0 in the conference after winning at Boston College. Wake Forest has a real test this week against Florida State.
Never miss a local story.
4. Virginia is STRUGGLING. Yes, the Cavaliers won Saturday, but it took overtime to beat Idaho, and the win was sealed only because the Vandals failed on a two-point conversion in the extra period.
5. Virginia Tech has some issues on offense. The Hokies have a dynamic runner in David Wilson, but quarterback Logan Thomas has some growing up to do. And the Hokies don't have many weapons on the outside.
1. Georgia Tech
2. North Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
2. Florida State
3. Wake Forest
5. N.C. State
6. Boston College
THIS WEEK'S GAMES
Louisville at North Carolina
Time, TV: Noon, ESPN2.
Records: Louisville 2-2, North Carolina 4-1.
Series record: Louisville leads 3-2.
Last meeting: Louisville won 69-14 in 2005.
Maryland at Georgia Tech
Time, TV: Noon, ESPNU.
Records: Maryland 2-2, 1-0 ACC; Georgia Tech 5-0, 2-0.
Series record: Maryland leads 13-6.
Last meeting: Maryland won 28-26 in 2007.
Florida State at Wake Forest
Time, TV: 12:30 p.m., WGXA-ABC.
Records: Florida State 2-2, 0-1; Wake Forest 3-1, 2-0.
Series record: Florida State leads 23-5-1.
Last meeting: Florida State won 31-0 in 2010.
Boston College at Clemson
Time, TV: 3 p.m., Fox Sports South.
Records: Boston College 1-4, 0-2; Clemson 5-0, 2-0.
Series record: Tied 9-9-2.
Last meeting: Boston College won 16-10 in 2010.
Miami at Virginia Tech
Time, TV: 3:30 p.m., ABC.
Records: Miami 2-2, 0-1; Virginia Tech 4-1, 0-1.
Series record: Miami leads 17-11.
Last meeting: Virginia Tech won 31-17 in 2010.
Central Michigan at N.C. State
Time, TV: 3:30 p.m., No TV.
Records: Central Michigan 2-3, N.C. State 2-3.
Series record: First meeting.