ATHENS - Georgia finally got some good news from the NCAA.
Kolton Houston has been granted a sixth year of eligibility, UGA announced on Friday night, meaning its starting right tackle will return for his final season in 2015.
Houston lost his first three seasons at Georgia, from 2010-12, due to a battle with the NCAA over his inability to pass a drug threshold test. It dated to what UGA said was a high school steroid injection from an "unscrupulous" doctor.'
He finally passed a test before the 2012 season and was reinstated for his redshirt junior season. That technically only left him two years of eligibility, but he always knew there was a possibility for a third.
Never miss a local story.
"About three years ago, when we distinguished that this was a different case than we had ever had before, they said they would work with me on trying to get me a sixth year," Houston said last month.
That held true, and now Georgia is set to return four of five offensive line starters from this season. Center David Andrews, a second-team All-SEC pick this season, is the only senior. Left tackle John Theus, is also expected to return unless he receives a first- or second-round draft grade from the NFL.
Houston also had the option of turning pro, but decided earlier this season he would rather stay one more year at Georgia, as long as the NCAA agreed.
"When I just look at it I've got the whole rest of my life to go work. But I only get one more year to play college football," Houston said in October.