1. Gurley, Gurley, Gurley: Todd Gurley is the top running back in the country; there's really no argument on that. After rushing 12 times for 154 yards against Clemson in the opener, Gurley was even better, and more physical, Saturday in Georgia's SEC opener. He had 30 carries for 134 tough yards against South Carolina. He is averaging 6.9 yards per carry, better than the 6.2 he averaged last year.
2. Aaron Murray is pretty good, too: Georgia's senior quarterback receives a lot of blame when things don't go well for the Bulldogs in big games. Some of that is justified; some of it is not. Murray completed 71.2 percent of his passes against Clemson and South Carolina for 632 yards. That's strong.
3. Jadeveon Clowney is not Superman: South Carolina's defensive end is still dominant; he's just not unblockable the way some people were talking during the preseason. The opposing coaches are getting paid to figure out ways to limit his effectiveness, and so far they have. It might be time for the Gamecocks coaches to adjust before their star gets too frustrated.
4. Not done yet: Gamecocks fans can have hope in their team's chances to win the SEC East even after Georgia's win Saturday. Remember, Georgia has rebounded from losing in this game the past two years to win the division. The Gamecocks hope to reverse that trend this year. Both teams still have seven conference games left, including games with Florida, but LSU isn't on South Carolina's schedule, and the Tigers face the Bulldogs at the end of this month. The Gamecocks' title hopes definitely are not over with one loss.
Never miss a local story.
5. On to Tide-Aggies: A bad slate of games throughout the rest of the SEC from the weekend makes it easy to go ahead and turn the page to Alabama-Texas A&M. Johnny Manziel against the Crimson Tide's stout defense should be a lot of fun in the second huge SEC conference game of the season. Can he keep his poise enough to play the way he did last year, or will he be overly excited for this huge contest. That could decide the game.