WARNER ROBINS -- A Warner Robins City Council candidate apparently has changed his mind about withdrawing from the Post 6 race.
“I have decided not to end this fight,” Neal Erwin wrote on his Facebook page Tuesday morning.
A day after announcing via Facebook that he would no longer pursue city office and that he would move out of the city, Erwin posted several status updates to say he is still in the race.
He also posted several updates criticizing Councilman John Williams, who currently holds the Post 6 seat. Erwin did not return a phone message for comment.
Never miss a local story.
“John Williams never does anything wrong,” Erwin, 41, wrote on Facebook. “But, I ask each of you to read the police reports and decide for yourself.”
Williams said he has not seen the posts but called it slander.
“I really don’t have a comment on that,” Williams said. “It is what it is. He’s just a crazy man.”
Erwin and Williams had a run-in last year when Erwin filed a police report against Williams after the councilman unexpectedly visited Erwin’s home. No charges were filed.
City Clerk Alton Mattox said Erwin never submitted an affidavit to City Hall to officially withdraw from the race. He said Erwin sent an e-mail at 8:37 a.m. Tuesday, in which Erwin retracted a Monday message to the clerk that he was exiting the race.
Williams, 72, said Tuesday “it’s every American’s right” to run for City Council, and he looks forward to debating his opponents. Former fireman Mike Davis, 58, also is seeking the Post 6 seat.
To contact writer Christina M. Wright, call 256-9685.