Happy New Year from the front office of Monday Morning Trivia. Our staff of one is here to assist you.
Fortunately, for many of you, it’s the start of a new semester. The grade book begins with a blank page.
Sharpen your pencils.
1. Wednesday would be Elvis Presley’s 79th birthday. Linda Giddens, a national champion water skier from Eastman, appeared in what movie with Elvis in 1967 when she was 16 years old?
(A) “Girl Happy” (B) “Viva Las Vegas” (C) “Clambake” (D) “Jailhouse Rock”
2. Putnam County is named after Revolutionary War hero Gen. Israel Putnam, who is famous for what?
(A) He selected West Point on the Hudson River in New York as the site for the U.S. Military Academy. (B) He was fraternity brothers with Benedict Arnold. (C) He was the mastermind behind the Boston Tea Party. (D) He was known for his “bad hair days” until he joined the Whigs party.
3. What is the largest county in Middle Georgia with 818.6 square miles in land area?
(A) Houston. (B) Crawford. (C) Washington. (D) Laurens.
4. What was Macon’s first “planned” suburban neighborhood?
(A) Shurlington. (B) Cherokee Heights. (C) Wimbish Woods. (D) Sherwood Forest.
5. Wilkinson County’s 8-year-old TV celebrity, Alana “Honey Boo Boo” Thompson, has been known to drink a concoction of Mountain Dew and Red Bull called what?
(A) Go Go Juice. (B) Boo Boo Juice. (C) Shirley Temple. (D) Pot Likker.
6. Which U.S. president was once a regular guest columnist for The Macon Telegraph?
(A) Jimmy Carter. (B) Millard Fillmore. (C) Franklin D. Roosevelt. (D) Martin Van Buren.
7. Nick Marshall, who will be Auburn’s starting quarterback in tonight’s BCS national championship game against Florida State, hails from which Georgia town?
(A) Pinehurst. (B) Pineview. (C) Pineland. (D) Pine Mountain.
8. Who was the first Georgian to build and fly an airplane and is considered the father of aviation in the state? (Hint: A monoplane he built in 1912 is on display at the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins.)
(A) Ben Epps. (B) Gen. Robert Scott. (C) Eugene Ely. (D) Eddie Rickenbacker.
9. Lee Everett is the main protagonist and a character with family ties to Macon in which popular video game?
(A) Call of Duty. (B) Halo 4. (C) The Walking Dead. (D) Super Mario.
10. Which of the following is NOT a former name for Tift College, which is now headquarters for the Georgia Department of Corrections in Forsyth?
(A) Bessie Tift College. (B) Forsyth Female Collegiate Institute. (C) Monroe College. (D) Grits Cafe Culinary Institute.
ANSWERS: (1) C. (2) A. (3) D. (4) B. (5) A. (6) C. (7) B. (8) A. (9) C. (10) D.
REPORT CARD: (9-10) Dean’s List. (7-8) Summa Cum Laude. (5-6) So So Cum Laude. (3-4) Remedial studies. (0-2) Academic probation.
Reach Gris at 744-4275 or email@example.com.