Authorities have evidence that a former Southwest High School honor student wasn’t at a carnival Feb. 22, as he’s claimed, when a 16-year-old was fatally shot at a Macon Little League field on Anthony Road.
Two other people charged in the death of Damion Bernard “Little Petey” Clayton have identified 17-year-old Jedarrius Treonta Meadows as firing a gun in the killing, prosecutor John Regan said at a Thursday hearing in Bibb County Superior Court. Meadows’ lawyer was requesting that his client be granted a bond so he can return to school.
Regan said a witness picked Meadows up near the ball field soon after the killing, contradicting his story that he was at a carnival. Authorities have not said whether more than one person fired shots.
His phone records and other phone records also contradict Meadows’ story, Regan said.
Never miss a local story.
A judge considered testimony presented at the hearing. Later in the day, the judge denied Meadows’ request for bond.
Meadows’ mother testified Thursday about her son being on the football team last year and how he was a good student.
“His grades were exemplary,” said Brek Barker, Meadows’ lawyer.
Asa Grant testified that the Fu--Life gang to which authorities allege Meadows belongs isn’t a criminal street gang.
She said it’s a group of about 10 boys -- her sons and nephews -- and Meadows, who hang out playing video games, laughing and talking. Meadows, the only non-family member in the group, knows the boys from playing T-ball.
Barker argued, “This young man needs to be back in school. ... He didn’t have time to be in a gang.”
Regan showed the judge copies of images posted to his Twitter account in which he said Meadows talks about being an “original gangster” and is photographed using gang signs.
His posts include: “I hope all my enemies disappear,” “No hesitation. Bang, bang, bang” and “Love those gun sounds,” Regan said.
“I believe those images speak for themselves,” he said.
Two other teenagers, 15-year-old Roland Rah’Saun Watson and 17-year-old Trayvon Xavier Starks, also are charged in the killing. All three are alleged to have also taken cash from Clayton.
Regan said the three teenagers will go to trial separately. Watson will be first.
Information from Telegraph archives was used in this report. To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.