WARNER ROBINS — An early-morning fire Wednesday at a mobile home on Red Fox Run claimed the life of a 57-year-old man.
An autopsy indicated that James Haralson of Warner Robins died from smoke and soot inhalation, said Houston County Coroner Danny Galpin.
The 5:37 a.m. fire at 20 Red Fox Run off Russell Parkway was reported to 911 by a neighbor, said Houston County Fire Chief Jimmy Williams.
The mobile home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, Williams said.
Never miss a local story.
Preliminary indications show space heaters started the fire, Williams said.
Haralson was retired, having worked 20 years as a civil service employee in electronics at Robins Air Force Base, said his mother, Virginia Haralson of Warner Robins. He once was an avid hunter, fisherman and bowler, she said. Divorced, Haralson has one daughter, Virginia Ask, and a grandson, Jason Ask.
Virginia Haralson said she could not understand why a smoke detector did not wake her son. She said he recently had bought a new one.
To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559.