▪ A Memorial Day ceremony will be held Monday at 11 a.m. at Magnolia Park Cemetery at 205 S. Pleasant Hill Road. Retired Air Force Lt. Col. Steve Atkins is the featured speaker. Atkins was a B-52 pilot and currently is a Junior ROTC instructor at Veterans High School. The annual ceremony is being organized this year by the Enlisted Association. For more information, call Rick Delaney at 478-284-9879.
▪ A Memorial Day ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at Macon Memorial Park. The keynote speaker is Robert Magnus, former assistant commandant of the Marine Corps. Also speaking will be Murray Greenfield, a Merchant Marine in World War II who helped transport 35,000 Jews rescued from death camps to what would become Israel. For more information contact Phil McGoldrick at 478-955-4545 .
Never miss a local story.
▪ Linwood Cemetery will hold its annual Memorial Day observance at 11 a.m. Monday. The Macon Cemetery Preservation Corporation will gather in the Historic Pleasant Hill Neighborhood on Walnut Street between Pursley Street and Grant Avenue. Retired Navy Lt. David Pipes, past state commander of the VFW, will speak, and the ceremonial placing of a wreath will include the members of the 48th Brigade Infantry Charlie Medical Company.
▪ The Fort Hawkins Commission will host a ceremony at noon Monday at Fort Hill Cemetery. The remembrance at the community’s first cemetery on Short Street near Mitchell and Norris streets will be followed by a self-guided tour of the cemetery. The Fort Hawkins Visitor Center and the blockhouse replica will also be open Monday for visitors. For more information contact Michael Lynch at 478-785-1777.
▪ The Carl Vinson VA Medical Center will hold its annual Memorial Day ceremony at 2 p.m. Monday in the auditorium. The speaker will be William “Bill” Dewey Freeman, who was a prisoner of war in Korea.