A grease fire kept Earnestine Jones from getting her fried chicken leg and wing Friday morning at the Church’s Chicken at 1425 Georgia Ave.
“I guess I have to go home and fix me something to eat. I guess I’ll make some grits and sausage,” said Jones before she started walking up the sidewalk.
About 9:30 a.m., Macon-Bibb County firefighters got the call about a stove fire.
The crew from the fire station across the street was fueling up their fire engine, but other firefighters arrived to quickly douse the blaze.
Never miss a local story.
“Grease built up under the fryers and it caught fire,” said Sgt. Ben Gleaton, a fire investigator. “It was contained to the stove and never got past the cooking area.”
Ceiling tiles had to be removed to make sure the flames had not spread to the ceiling and a food inspector must clear the building before it reopens, Gleaton said.