Two men were burned in a Jones County house fire at 1471 Monticello Highway near Bradley shortly before 5 a.m. Tuesday.
Jones County Fire Chief Don Graham said one of the men awoke to the fire and alerted a male relative and his four children. The youngsters made it safely out of the burning home.
“When he woke up, he was on fire,” Graham said.
The fire started in that bedroom and burned all of the man’s belongings in the small room of the large, one-story house, Graham said.
Never miss a local story.
An electrical panel box was above the bed, but the man also told firefighters he has a history of smoking in bed.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family. Firefighters were able to save most of the house.
“We had a quick response, and our folks are fantastic,” Graham said. “We saved over three-quarters of the house, and we’re all volunteers.”
Both men were taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia to be treated for their burns, but Graham did not think they suffered life-threatening injuries.
Only one lane of traffic was open on the Monticello Highway while crews were on the scene.