One firefighter was treated and released from the hospital after an east Macon apartment fire Friday morning off Gray Highway.
Macon-Bibb Fire Dept. Captain Nathaniel Hall said firefighters were called at about 4 a.m. to Highland Woods Apartments at 1086 Clinton Road where a couple left food unattended on the stove. “It had become a fully engulfed fire,” said Fire Chief Marvin Riggins. “In the interior attack a firefighter bumped his face mask and he inhaled super-heated air and got some tough toxins in there.”
The firefighter was taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia to be checked out.
The blaze gutted one apartment and some smoke filtered into neighboring apartments, Hall said.