WARNER ROBINS -- The cause of death in a Warner Robins apartment fire was determined Wednesday to be smoke and soot inhalation, the coroner says.
Also, the manner of death was ruled accidental after an external exam by the medical examiner, said Houston County Coroner Danny Galpin. An expected autopsy was not needed based on the wealth of evidence from the exam.
Kenneth Johnson, 46, of Warner Robins, died at Houston Medical Center where he was taken after the 7:30 p.m. fire Tuesday at his apartment in the Cedar Pointe complex at 135 Ignico Drive.
He was found lying in the living room and kitchen, where he likely succumbed during an attempt to flee the fire, said Capt. James Franklin, public information officer for the Warner Robins Fire Department.
Never miss a local story.
Johnson had been smoking cigarettes and caught the couch on fire in his apartment, authorities said.
His body was damaged all over in the fire from the intense heat and not the flames, Galpin said.
No one else was injured, and only the victim’s apartment was damaged, Franklin said.
To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559.