One firefighter was treated and released from the hospital after an east Macon apartment fire this morning off Gray Highway.
Macon-Bibb Fire Dept. Captain Nathaniel Hall said firefighters were called at about 4 a.m. to Highland Woods Apartments at 1086 Clinton Road where a couple left food unattended on the stove.
"It had become a fully engulfed fire," said Fire Chief Marvin Riggins. "In the interior attack a firefighter bumped his face mask and he inhaled super-heated air and got some tough toxins in there."
The firefighter was taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia to be checked out.
Never miss a local story.
The blaze gutted one apartment and some smoke filtered into neighboring apartments, Hall said.