Firefighters have spent more than 23 hours monitoring a smoldering fire in an abandoned wood chip bin at Armstrong World Industries, Inc., 4520 Broadway.
Macon-Bibb County Fire Capt. Dewey Davis said the fire started at about 2:20 p.m. Monday when a scrap metal company was tearing the bin apart.
Sparks ignited the sawdust inside the container. Davis estimated the bin as being about 80 feet tall and 30 feet around.
Although firefighters were able to contain the fire, they were still on the scene at 1:30 p.m.
Never miss a local story.
Crews have been swapping out to avoid fatigue.