As the sun came up Monday morning, thick smoke rose from the rear of Ken’s Stereo Junction on Mercer University Drive in Macon.
About 6:50 a.m., a faulty heater apparently ignited a fire in the metal warehouse building behind Ken’s Pro Audio and Ken’s Stereo Junction, said Mike Jones, whose family owns the electronics stores.
Between 60 and 70 televisions were destroyed in the blaze, Jones said.
A stack of boxes of flat-screens in the loft that nearly reached the ceiling had melted down to about 3 feet high in the tall, one-story building.
Never miss a local story.
Macon-Bibb County fire Capt. Rex Sampson said crews were able to put out the fire in about 30 minutes and protect about half of the inventory from flames and water damage.
No one was hurt in the fire, Sampson said.
A firefighter headed to work and two Ken’s employees saw the blaze and reported it, he said.
Jones arrived as firefighters were putting out the blaze in the building that formerly housed the company’s stereo installation bays.
“These guys are unbelievable,” Jones said. “You ought to see them work. To see them in motion, the organization, it’s amazing. Not for one second did you feel anything was out of control.”
The fire will not interrupt business, Jones said.
One westbound lane of in the 3600 block of Mercer University was closed for about three hours as hoses and fire trucks were blocking the street.
To contact writer Liz Fabian, call 744-4303.