Attorneys involved in the federal prosecution of Pyrotechnic Specialties received evidence “on the eve of the trial” that led to the dismissal of the case Thursday.
The case against the company and some of its employees was scheduled to go to trial next week, but it was targeted for dismissal after a pretrial hearing Jan. 9, according to an order signed by Judge C. Ashley Royal of the U.S. District Court for Middle Georgia.
Federal prosecutors are re-evaluating their case in light of the new evidence and will decide whether to seek new indictments in the case “in the near future,” according to a statement Thursday afternoon from U.S. Attorney Max Wood.
The government had alleged that the Byron-based company had relabeled faulty “flash-bang” grenades, claiming that they met military standards but that the grenades had caused several injuries to FBI agents four years ago.
Never miss a local story.
The dismissal of the case followed claims by defense lawyers revealed earlier in the week. Attorneys maintained that federal prosecutors had falsely alleged and made misleading statements in charging the pyrotechnics company and several employees with defrauding the government.
Also, the government’s withholding of a crucial report amounted to “extreme governmental misconduct” in the case, they said.
Wood declined to comment on the nature of the new evidence or when a reindictment might occur.
“The United States Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Georgia has no other comment at this time about this ongoing matter other than that issued earlier today by Mr. Wood,” office spokeswoman Sue McKinney said.
Information from the The Telegraph’s archives was used in this report.
To contact writer Ashley Tusan Joyner, call 744-4347.