Merle Haggard writing songs, singing praises of Macon health care
Country music legend Merle Haggard is writing songs in his hospital bed at The Medical Center of Central Georgia, his publicist said.
Haggard reported the double-pneumonia that forced the cancellation of his Macon concert last week is almost completely clear, but he continues to be treated for three other conditions.
Haggard, 74, credited Macon doctors and health care professionals for uncovering problems Tuesday that could have killed him.
He is recovering from three stomach ulcers, diverticulitis in his esophagus and the removal of eight polyps from his colon, according to his publicist, Tresa Redburn.
She released this statement from the singer: “Thanks to all the wonderful people all over the world that prayed those special prayers. I’m a new man.”
Haggard returned to the hospital just hours after he was released Friday.
Doctors reluctantly agreed to let him return to California with medication and orders to rest last week, but the entertainer decided it would be best to continue his supervised recovery at the hospital.
He’s expected to be back up and running in 30 days, she said.
“Another special thanks to the folks of Macon, Georgia, for their kindness, intelligence and probably saving my life,” Haggard said through his publicist.
He is scheduled to resume his concert tour late next month and plans to return to Macon on April 25, the new date chosen after last week’s performance at the Macon City Auditorium was canceled due to his illness.
To contact writer Liz Fabian, call 744-4303.
This story was originally published January 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM with the headline "Merle Haggard writing songs, singing praises of Macon health care."