Grease fire temporarily closes Church’s Chicken on Georgia Avenue

lfabian@macon.comJuly 11, 2014 

A grease fire temporarily closed Church's Chicken on Georgia Avenue just before 9:30 a.m. Friday.

LIZ FABIAN/THE TELEGRAPH — lfabian@macon.com

A grease fire kept Earnestine Jones from getting her fried chicken leg and wing Friday morning at the Church’s Chicken at 1425 Georgia Ave.

“I guess I have to go home and fix me something to eat. I guess I’ll make some grits and sausage,” said Jones before she started walking up the sidewalk.

About 9:30 a.m., Macon-Bibb County firefighters got the call about a stove fire.

The crew from the fire station across the street was fueling up their fire engine, but other firefighters arrived to quickly douse the blaze.

“Grease built up under the fryers and it caught fire,” said Sgt. Ben Gleaton, a fire investigator. “It was contained to the stove and never got past the cooking area.”

Ceiling tiles had to be removed to make sure the flames had not spread to the ceiling and a food inspector must clear the building before it reopens, Gleaton said.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service