Puppies perish in north Macon house fire

lfabian@macon.comJune 3, 2014 

Macon-Bibb County firefighters battled a kitchen fire on Brookfield Drive where several puppies died of smoke inhalation.

RICK EISEL — THE TELEGRAPH

Nearly a half-dozen pit bull puppies died Tuesday morning in a house fire at 140 Brookfield Drive.

Unattended food on the stove ignited the blaze that heavily damaged the kitchen shortly before 8 a.m., said Sgt. Ben Gleaton, a Macon-Bibb fire investigator.

“A house guest was heating up something for the dogs,” Gleaton said.

Fire crews were warned to keep out of the back yard to avoid the adult pit bull dogs out back.

Asked about protocol when crews encounter potentially vicious dogs, Gleaton said: “If they’re in the back yard, we fight the fire from the front yard.”

Home owner Veronica Brinson and her guest were not at home at the time of the fire, but the man returned in haste, circumventing fire trucks blocking the road to the neighborhood off Bowman Road.

He narrowly missed firefighters, but did hit a utilty pole, Gleaton said.

Heavy smoke damaged the house and killed the puppies that were inside.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service