There are at least 11,637 ways to impress your family and friends this morning.
Here are a few of them.
You can tell them to step right up to the greatest show on Earth, because on this day in history in 1835, P.T. Barnums circus began its first tour of the U.S.
Or since June is the most popular month for weddings, you can amaze folks with this historical note. On June 2, 1886, Grover Cleveland became the first and only U.S. president to get married at the White House.
On this day in 1941, baseball great Lou Gehrig died of the disease that would later bear his name. And on this day a dozen years later, the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II would become the first international event televised, although not that many folks had TVs at the time.
On this day 10 years ago, that super-smart guy named Ken Jennings began his 74-game winning streak on Jeopardy!
Yet another way to impress your circle of friends is with your command of Monday Morning Trivia.
1. The 40-million year old whale fossil on display at the Museum of Arts and Sciences was found in a kaolin mine in Twiggs County in 1973 and goes by what nickname?
(A) Sidney. (B) Ziggy. (C) Bubba. (D) Shamu.
2. Which one of the following artists did NOT record the classic Rainy Night in Georgia, listed as one of Rolling Stone magazines Top 500 songs of all time?
(A) Tennessee Ernie Ford. (B) Brook Benton. (C) Justin Bieber. (D) Hank Williams Jr.
3. In a previous life, the property where Bowden Golf Course, Macons only municipal golf course, was the home of what?
(A) Miller Field airport. (B) Butchs Amusement Park. (C) Pauls Peach Orchard. (D) Willies Used Car Lot.
4. Which of the following is correct about Amanda Kozak-Miliner, a fourth-grade teacher at Miller Elementary in Warner Robins, who was recently named Georgia Teacher of the Year.
(A) She won the national spelling bee when she was in the seventh grade. (B) She was Miss Georgia 2006 and was second runner-up in the 2007 Miss America pageant. (C) She is a 2002 graduate of Northside High School. (D) She married her college sweetheart from Georgia Southern.
5. The original Sidney Lanier Bridge, named after Macon poet Sidney Lanier, opened in Brunswick in 1956. Scenes from which Burt Reynolds movie were filmed on the bridge in 1974?
(A) Deliverance. (B) Smokey and the Bandit. (C) W.W. and the Dixie Dance Kings. (D) The Longest Yard.
6. Burlesque star Tempest Storm was born in Eastman, and her real name is Annie Blanche Banks. In the late 1950s, what did she reportedly have insured for $1 million through Lloyds of London?
(A) A fleet of Rolls Royces. (B) Her stash of Stuckeys Pecan Log Rolls. (C) A wardrobe of mink stoles. (D) Her breasts.
7. Which of the following is NOT true about Ed Roberts, who was living in Cochran at the time of his death in 2010?
(A) He was considered the father of the personal computer. (B) He was Bill Gates first employer, and Gates visited him at a Macon hospital to pay his last respects. (C) He invented the YouPad to rival the iPad. (D) He was in the first graduating class at Mercers School of Medicine in 1986.
8. In July 2003, Macon was mentioned during a scene about womens hair scrunchies in an episode of what popular television series?
(A) Survivor. (B) Sex and the City. (C) Everybody Loves Raymond. (D) Two and a Half Men.
9. Which one of the following Georgia celebrities was NOT born in Albany?
(A) Comedian Jeff Foxworthy. (B) Chef Paula Deen. (C) Baseball great Ray Knight. (D) Singer Ray Charles.
10. Interstate 16, which runs from Macon to Savannah, is named the Jim L. Gillis Highway after the former state senator and head of the Georgia Department of Transportation. Which county did Gillis call home?
(A) Pike. (B) Wheeler. (C) Early. (D) Treutlen.
ANSWERS: (1) B. (2) C. (3) A. (4) B. (5) D. (6) D. (7) C. (8) B. (9) A. (10) D.
REPORT CARD: (9-10) You are now Queen Elizabeths heir to the throne. (7-8) Ken Jennings would be proud. (5-6) No Iron Horse award from Lou Gehrig. (3-4) Left at the altar with Grover Cleveland. (0-2) P.T. Barnum once said, Theres a sucker born every minute.
Contact Gris at 744-4275 or email@example.com.