Two Macon teens charged with 16-year-old’s slaying

Telegraph staffFebruary 24, 2014 

Homicide

Broken crime scene tape hangs from a gate at center field of Tom Fontaine Field at the Macon Little League Sunday morning. Jedarrius Treonta Meadows Jr. (inset) was charged with murder in the death of a 16-year-old male who was shot at roughly 7:45 p.m. Saturday and found at the field.

JASON VORHEES — jvorhees@macon.com Buy Photo

Authorities have charged two teenagers with murder in the weekend shooting death of a 16-year-old.

Jedarrius Treonta Meadows Jr., 17, of a Markwood Drive address in Macon was charged in the case, as was 15-year-old Roland R. Watson of Macon. Both were charged as adults.

Meadows was arrested at his high school about 8:30 a.m. Monday. Watson was taken into custody at his home.

Authorities found Damian Bernard “Little Petey” Clayton lying on his back at the Macon Little League baseball field, at 2230 Anthony Road, Saturday night. Friends reported that Clayton had been shot about 7:45 p.m.

The Bibb County sheriff’s deputy who answered the call found three visible gunshot wounds -- to Clayton’s head, torso and arm, according to an incident report.

When emergency technicians arrived, they found a faint pulse and took Clayton to the hospital, where he died later.

Three friends of Clayton’s were taken to the Detective Bureau for questioning.

Clayton lived on Lilly Avenue, less than a mile from the baseball field.

In a statement, Bibb County Sheriff David Davis praised the work of investigators, including those with the Bibb County campus police and the Middle Georgia Regional Fugitive Task Force, who worked through the weekend “to identify those responsible for this tragic crime.

“One of the last homicides in 2013 and the first homicide in 2014 involved youth on youth crime,” he said. “There are many good people doing many good things in our community. These senseless acts of violence should not deter those who want to make a positive difference in trying to make our community one in which our youth are discouraged from taking up arms against one another.”

Meanwhile, Macon Little League’s board held an emergency meeting Monday night at Tom Fontaine Field to address safety concerns.

President Linda Howard said she got “100 phone calls” from concerned parents since news of the shooting broke.

Howard said the ballpark was locked when Clayton got into the field. She said a fence separating the field from the Anthony Homes housing project has repeatedly been torn down.

“People come in and tear down the fence,” she said. “They’re damaging stuff for the little ones.”

Howard said the league will continue to register players and will still hold a registration day Saturday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. that will include a free barbecue for the registrants and their families.

In addition to a new fence, Howard said she also wants lights put up at the field and will look into having security at games. She said there haven’t been any incidents during games in previous years. About 300 children registered for the league last year.

Anyone with information in the case is asked to call the sheriff’s office at 478-751-7500 and leave a message for an on-call investigator or to call Macon Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-877-68CRIME.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service