Carbon monoxide could be factor in Macon man’s death

lfabian@macon.comFebruary 21, 2014 

Using a generator indoors may have cost a Macon man his life.

Walter Austin was found dead Thursday night near his bedroom at 135 Hurley Park, which is not far from Rice Mill Road near Pio Nono Avenue, said Bibb County Deputy Coroner Lonnie Miley.

The 45-year-old’s electricity had been cut off on Wednesday.“Apparently he was running a generator inside his house, and there were strong fumes in his house,” Miley said.

Austin’s family found his body when they went to check on him.

Miley pronounced him dead at 7:35 p.m. Thursday.

An autopsy is set for Monday to determine if carbon monoxide poisoning led to his death.The American Red Cross warns against using portable generators indoors due to the toxic engine exhaust.

Lethal carbon monoxide cannot been seen or smelled, but it can make people feel sick, dizzy or weak before reaching fatal limits.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service