Fire guts apartment on Ingleside

jgaines@macon.comJanuary 5, 2014 

Fire destroyed an apartment in Ingleside Townhomes in Macon on Saturday, driving out the residents of the entire building but rendering only one unit uninhabitable.

The fire call for 2140 Ingleside Avenue came in at about 2 p.m., Macon-Bibb County Fire Chief Marvin Riggins said. It took firefighters about 45 minutes to get the blaze under control, he said.

“There was some moderate to heavy damage,” Riggins said. The fire was contained in one unit, though apartments on either side suffered some smoke damage, he said.

The whole building was evacuated; all residents except those of the burned apartment should be home soon, Riggins said.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the former occupants of the burned unit, he said.

The family that lived there was home at the time of the fire, which appeared to be caused by cooking left unattended, Riggins said.

To contact writer Jim Gaines, call 744-4489.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service