Houston fire victim died of soot, smoke inhalation

bpurser@macon.comDecember 17, 2013 

fire_death

Kenneth Lumpkin was found dead Saturday night in the rubble of a fatal fire at 106 Anna’s Way near Perry.

BEAU CABELL — bcabell@macon.com Buy Photo

An autopsy found that a Houston County man who perished in a fire Saturday night died of soot and smoke inhalation with burns, the coroner said.

Houston Coroner Danny Galpin also said the death was ruled accidental.

Kenneth Lumpkin, 55, was found dead in a room near the front door of his home at 106 Anna’s Way in the Lake Joy Village subdivision near Perry after a space heater malfunctioned in a back room of the house, Houston County fire Chief Jimmy Williams said.

By the time a neighbor called 911 about 10:15 p.m. Saturday, the flames were already raging, Williams said. The caller reported that fire and smoke were coming out of the front door and roof, he said.

When the first fire truck arrived 10 minutes later from the Lake Joy station about 1.5 miles away, the fire was fully involved, Williams said.

The response time includes the time from when the call was dispatched to the volunteer firefighters reaching the station to the first truck arriving on scene, he said.

About 20 firefighters battled the blaze.

Lumpkin recently retired from his job as an industrial mechanic at Robins Air Force Base, a family member said.

Telegraph archives were used in this report. To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service