Affidavit: Slain doctor with midstate ties lured to Augusta for sexual encounter

The Augusta ChronicleDecember 3, 2013 

Dr. Charles Mann III

The doctor with Middle Georgia ties slain in Augusta just before Thanksgiving was lured to the town for a sexual encounter, according to the affidavit used to obtain a search warrant for a computer used by the man suspected of killing him.

The computer was at the Dublin Drive home where Glenn Vincent Riggs II, 22, lived with his grandmother. Two days after Dr. Charles Mann III disappeared, Riggs told a Richmond County sheriff’s detective that Mann responded to a website post that Riggs had made Nov. 21.

According to the affidavit, Riggs gave Mann his address and phone number after they exchanged messages about sex. Riggs told the detective his intention was to rob the 60-year-old general surgeon, who worked at Southern Palmetto Hospital in Barnwell, S.C.

Mann lived in Barnwell County during the week and traveled home to Kathleen on weekends to spend time with family. He previously practiced in Perry, Eastman and Fort Valley.

Riggs is now in jail facing charges of murder and robbery.

Richmond County deputies had been looking for Mann since Nov. 21, when his 2006 Honda Accord was found empty and unlocked in the woods near Old Louisville Road and Satcher Boulevard. The first deputy on the scene, Calvin Davis, saw blood on the rear bumper, and when he opened the trunk he found a lot more blood, according to the affidavit.

Inside the vehicle, officers found a piece of paper with Riggs’ address and phone number. When an officer went to the address, Riggs answered the door. He denied knowing Mann, and he said he couldn’t identify a photograph of the doctor.

After the visit, Riggs posted a message on a friend’s Facebook page: “I killed a man ... the law is on to me...”, according to the search warrant affidavit.

Riggs told his grandmother not to return home the evening of Nov. 23 because a visiting friend had a seizure in the house, and Riggs was trying to clean up his blood, according to the affidavit. His friend was supposedly taken to the hospital.

Mann’s body was found that day in Spirit Creek at Willis Foreman Road. According to the coroner, Mann was the victim of strangulation and blunt force trauma.

Mann had worked as a general surgeon at Southern Palmetto Hospital since March, according to the hospital’s CEO.

According to the hospital’s website, he was a graduate of the University of Florida College of Medicine. As part of his residency, Mann did pediatric surgery at Queen Mary’s Hospital for Sick Children, Carshalton, England.

Information from Telegraph archives was used in this report. Contact Sandy Hodson at 706-823-3226 or

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service