In honor of the Georgia National Fair this week, we are taking a sentimental stroll down the midway with Monday Morning Trivia.
Make sure to bring along your thinking caps, and remember the extra security at the gates.
1. In 1994, the Georgia National Fair adopted which animal as its official mascot? (In honor of a creature that was once a frequent visitor to the Agricenter property.)
(A) Possum. (B) Bear. (C) Alligator. (D) Unicorn.
2. When the Georgia State Fair was held in Macon, what invention was introduced in 1852 by a German clock maker named Thaddeus Von Clegg?
(A) Alarm clock. (B) Bicycle pump. (C) Kazoo. (D) iPhone.
3. What memorabilia is on display in the dining room at the McDonalds on Gray Highway?
(A) Turret from former mayor Ronnie Machine Gun Thompsons famous tank. (B) Antique turnstile from Luther Williams Field. (C) Original head from a decapitated Ronald McDonald statue. (D) Autographed guitars from Travis Tritt, Lady Gaga, Steven Tyler and Col. Bruce Hampton.
4. Greg Allman, who will appear in Macon for concerts on Dec. 27 and Jan. 14, had a short-lived marriage to which singer in the mid-1970s?
(A) Linda Ronstadt. (B) Olivia Newton-John. (C) Helen Reddy. (D) Cher.
5. Ten years ago this fall, Finchers Barbecue was featured on which show?
(A.) Blue Ribbon on TurnerSouth. (B) Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on The Food Network. (C) Duck Dynasty. (D) The Hunger Games.
6. Which name has Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville NOT been known by since it was chartered in 1889?
(A) Georgia State College for Women. (B) Georgia University and State College. (C) Georgia College. (D) Georgia Normal and Industrial College.
7. WMAZ recently celebrated the 60th anniversary of its television station, which signed on the air for the first time on Sept. 27, 1953. What did its call letters originally stand for?
(A) Watching Mercer Attain Zenith. (B) Watching Macon Attach Zippers. (C) Wal-Mart Advertisers Zeal. (D). Walnut Mulberry Arkwright Zebulon.
8. Macon officials are looking into the possibility of bringing back minor league baseball. Which major league organization has never had a farm team here?
(A) Dodgers. (B) Cardinals. (C) Red Sox. (D) Braves.
9. What is the state mineral of Georgia?
(A) Granite. (B) Marble. (C) Staurolite. (D) Pea Gravel.
10. The annual Big Pig Jig, the official state barbecue championships, will be held in Vienna on Oct. 31 through Nov. 2. What designation did Tom Clynes, author of the book Wild Planet, give the Big Pig Jig?
(A) Swine and Dine of the South. (B) One of the worlds 1,001 Most Extraordinary Events. (C) Georgias Most Mouth-Watering Exit. (D) Where Napkins Go to Die.
ANSWERS: (1) B. (2) C. (3) D. (4) D. (5) A. (6) B. (7) A. (8) C. (9) C. (10) B.
REPORT CARD: (9-10) Top of the Ferris wheel. (7-8) Standing in tall cotton candy (5-6) Only halfway down the midway. (3-4) No elephant ears for you. (0-2) Please report to Sheep, Swine and Goat Barn No. 1 with a shovel.
Reach Gris at 744-4275 or firstname.lastname@example.org.