Warner Robins man indicted for attempted murder in June standoff with police

bpurser@macon.comSeptember 11, 2013 

James Curles

PERRY -- A Houston County grand jury has upgraded charges against a Warner Robins man accused of firing on police during a June standoff to attempted murder.

James Daniel Curles Jr., 25, was indicted Tuesday on two counts of attempted murder for repeatedly firing a SKS assault riffle in an “attempt to kill” Lt. Jeff McCommon and officer Justin Clark, the indictment stated.

He was also indicted on four counts of aggravated assault on officers: McCommon, Clark, Sgt. Wayne Fisher and Officer Aaron Mashburn; two counts of interference with government property for shooting at police vehicles; and one count of possession of a firearm during commission of a crime.

Curles, who has been in the Houston County jail without bond since June 28, was originally charged with four counts of aggravated assault on police officers, two counts each of criminal damage to property and criminal interference with governmental property, and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

He was initially taken to Houston Medical Center for evaluation after the nearly two-hour standoff June 27 before being transferred and booked into the jail late in the afternoon the following day.

Keith Fitzgerald, a Macon attorney representing Curles, could not be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Police responded to the residence in the 100-block of Galaxy Avenue about 5:30 p.m. the day of the incident to assist medical personnel with a patient, who police later identified as Curles. His wife, who was in the yard at the time of the shooting, had called the ambulance, police said.

While police were on their way, medical personnel heard what were believed to be shots fired from within the home, police said. Once officers arrived, Curles began shooting at them, but officers did not shoot back.

A SWAT negotiator was able to talk Curles into coming out of his home unarmed about 7:30 p.m., police said. What led to the eruption of gunfire has not been disclosed publicly.

No one was injured in the incident, police said.

To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service