Family flees burning house in Houston County

lfabian@macon.comAugust 28, 2013 

A mother and her teen son woke up just in time to escape their burning home early Wednesday morning at 507 Scarlett Drive in Houston County.

“They woke up for some reason, smelled smoke and noticed a light haze,” said Bill Smith, chief investigator for the Houston County Fire Department. “The mother said, ‘Get your brothers, and get out of the house.’ ”

The fire department got the call at about 3:40 a.m. and arrived to find a fire in the attic. The fire was contained in about 10 minutes, he said.

“There’s going to be minimal damage. The fire was put out quickly,” Smith said.

Flames damaged the attic and a wall going to the garage, he said.

Smith said the preliminary investigation shows the fire was electrical in nature -- likely the result of a faulty electrical switch.

The family had a working smoke detector, but it didn’t go off until they were safely outside the home off Ga. 96.

Smith recommends putting a smoke or heat detector in the attic.

“That gives you an earlier warning of it,” he said.

Telegraph writer Becky Purser contributed to this article.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service