Murder charge against son ‘out of his character,’ mom says

jkovac@macon.comJuly 23, 2013 

Darrlyn Jones couldn’t wait to hold his baby boy.

It was early May. His son, Jayceon Davis, with roomy cheeks like his that rode wide over a kiddie chin, had just been born.

Jones went on Facebook to mark the occasion. He was, as he put it, a “proud father.”

“Ima look my Lil man in his eyes n tell em daddy got em,” Jones wrote. “It ain’t even bout me nomo n that’s good to know ... it’s all about him. ... Can’t take this happiness away from me.”

In the wee hours of Sunday morning, though, something -- a fit of rage, an accident, an unknown ailment -- did.

Jones, 21, is accused of killing his 2-month-old child, hitting him in the head again and again with such force that Macon police describe the alleged onslaught as “violent contact.”

The warrant charging Jones with murder says he admitted striking Jayceon. There is no mention of what might have prompted Jones to lash out.

Police and an ambulance were called to Jones’ grandmother’s house in southwest Macon about 1:30 Sunday morning.

Jones told the cops there that he’d been lying in bed with the baby. Jones said he’d gotten up to get some water, a police report notes, “but he heard the baby cry so he turned around to go back in the room and observed the baby jump as if startled.”

Jones, according to the report, said he shook Jayceon “trying to get him to respond.” His grandmother tried to revive the baby with CPR. Then she saw blood in Jayceon’s nose and told Jones to dial 911.

When Jones was later interviewed by detectives, he admitted hitting Jayceon in the head as well as dropping or throwing the baby onto a bed, his arrest warrant states.

His conflicting accounts of Jayceon’s dying moments have left those close to him baffled about how a guy they say has never been in trouble is now in jail.

Jones was living with his grandmother in her modest yellow house on Elkan Avenue, a few blocks south of Rocky Creek Road, not far from the sharp curve at Bloomfield Road. The neighborhood is home to a hot dog diner, a Peek-A-Boo Learning Center, Reaching Souls Cathedral and a supermarket with a “no guns allowed on the premises” placard on its front door.

Jones had been staying with his grandmother since 2009, the year before he graduated from Southwest High School. He almost didn’t graduate on time. He nearly died at age 17.

In September 2009, he’d gone to another teen’s birthday party at the Black Velvet Lounge on Broadway. There was a fight. Someone opened fire on the Chevy Blazer that Jones was a passenger in. A bullet hit him in the face.

“He was dead when they brought him in (to the hospital), and they brought him back,” his mother, Victoria Jones, said Tuesday as she stood in her mother’s driveway on Elkan.

Jones was on life support. He underwent facial-reconstruction surgery, his mother said, and recovered.

After stints in tech school and as a photo-counter clerk at Walgreens, he was about to go off to truck-driving school in Indiana.

“He has never gave me any problems,” Victoria Jones said. “That’s why I’m saying, I’m not gonna uphold my children in no wrongdoing, you understand what I’m saying? If he did it he needs to pay, but this is out of his character. ... It’s just not him. I’m not just saying that because I’m his mom.”

She recalled how he used to get mad at her for not giving money to beggars. She said that as a boy, Jones played basketball with his buddies and dreamed of being NBA star Carmelo Anthony.

A call from jail

Victoria Jones, a pretty 40-year-old who works in customer service, was at work Saturday when Darrlyn showed up with Jayceon. She was surprised to see her son with the baby. She said it was unusual because Jayceon’s mother didn’t often leave him with Darrlyn.

Darrlyn and the child’s mother had never dated, Victoria Jones said. “Things happen. ... They weren’t even going together.”

About then, as she talked about her son, a relative walked out to say Darrlyn had just called the house from jail.

“He said he didn’t do a damn thing,” the relative said, adding that when someone asked Darrlyn if he had done what the police say he did, Darrlyn answered, “No.”

Victoria Jones just listened.

She said relatives of Jayceon’s mother, whom she declined to name, have berated Darrlyn on Facebook since the baby’s death.

“I’m losing on both sides,” Victoria Jones said. “I’m losing a son and I lost a grandson. It’s heartbreaking and it’s terrifying.”

She said she was trying to “take down” her son’s Facebook page, but “I’m not a Facebook person.”

It doesn’t appear Darrlyn was much into it either. His page has only been up since April, and it includes fewer than 70 entries.

Even so, his posts offer a glimpse into a 21-year-old’s world, a world that suddenly, in May, included a son. In fact, the first post he wrote on the social media site was the one from two months ago about how he couldn’t wait to look into Jayceon’s eyes.

Some of his Facebook entries include vulgar references, the lingo and bravado of urban youth. But his posts about Jayceon seem the heartfelt, if not headstrong, musings of a young father trying to find his way.

He wrote in May that his baby “will be tookin care of,” that he planned to “go out my way for em too.” He dared anyone to “call me a lie.”

Later that month he wrote how he wished “my Lil boy was laid up under me right now. ... Love my (son) till death and even after that.”

Three days later, he posted a shoutout to fathers “who there for their kid(s). ... Time and love all that matter.”

In mid-June he wrote, “Going crazy without my son man” and “Bad wen you can only see yo kid on the Internet.”

Early this month, he told of being “broke as hell.”

A couple of weeks later he mentioned signing up for truck-driving school: “Indiana here I come.”

Saturday morning, his posts were almost all about Jayceon, about them playing, about the baby sleeping on his chest. There’s a picture of Darrlyn cuddling the boy in a Winnie the Pooh blanket.

Just before 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Darrlyn fed the baby. Then they watched ESPN.

“He actually watching it with me. ... Love my son. Damn now he sleep,” Darrlyn wrote. “And I might be right behind ... cause we both been up all night ... on n off.”

It was his last post. Sixteen hours later, Jayceon was dead.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service