Bedridden Gray mom dies in fire caused by food left cooking on stove

awomack@macon.comJuly 18, 2013 

Food left cooking on a stove sparked a fire Thursday morning in this Gray house, killing an 80-year-old Gray woman.

SPECIAL TO THE TELEGRAPH

Food left cooking on a stove sparked a fire Thursday morning, killing an 80-year-old Gray woman.

Sarah Clements was bedridden at her home, 140 E. Clinton St. in Gray. Her daughter, 50-year-old Lynn Hammer, was cooking food, but left the house, said Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the state fire marshal’s office.

When firefighters arrived just after 9:30 a.m., the house was engulfed in flames. Firefighters pulled Clements from the house, but she died at the scene, Allen said.

Clements suffered heat burns and smoke inhalation, he said.

State investigators ruled the fire an accident Thursday afternoon. No evidence of a working smoke alarm was found in the home, according to a news release.

Hammer was taken to a local hospital and was released later Thursday, Allen said.

A Jones County firefighter lost consciousness due to heat exhaustion while firefighters were trying to extinguish the flames. He was taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia for treatment, said Gray Fire Chief Max Wood.

The firefighter was released from the hospital by Thursday afternoon, Allen said.

Clements’ death is the 76th fire fatality in Georgia so far this year, he said.

To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service