Warner Robins man dies after fight; brother charged with battery

bpurser@macon.comJuly 8, 2013 

Jason Victor Vonsteenburgh

WARNER ROBINS -- A 34-year-old man was charged with aggravated battery in an incident early Saturday in which his brother was hospitalized and later died.

Jason Victor Vonsteenburgh, of Warner Robins, was being held in the Houston County jail without bond after the 1:42 a.m. incident. His brother, Joshua Louis Vonsteenburgh, 22, was pronounced dead at The Medical Center of Central Georgia on Sunday, a Warner Robins police news release stated.

The brothers got into an argument that turned physical, according to the release. Jason Vonsteenburgh is accused of striking his brother, causing him to fall and hit his head on the concrete driveway, the release stated.

The argument happened at Jason Vonsteenburgh’s home in the 100 block of Mobley Court, according to police.

Whitney Wilson, 25, who was listed on the online police report as a witness, said she was getting cigarettes out of her car when the incident occurred.

“It was an accident. I can tell you that much,” said Wilson, who identified herself as Joshua Vonsteenburgh’s girlfriend. “They were close. They loved each other.”

Wilson said the brothers had been picking at each other as they normally do. The next thing Wilson knew, Joshua Vonsteenburgh had fallen, she said.

The brothers, who were always together, both graduated from Warner Robins High School, Wilson said. She described them as “best friends.”

Wilson said she believes Joshua Vonsteenburgh wouldn’t want his brother locked up in jail and charged over what happened.

Kristopher Shepherd, a close friend of Joshua Vonsteenburgh, also said the brothers were close. While he wasn’t at the home early Saturday, Shepherd said he cannot believe that what occurred was anything other than accidental.

The case has been turned over to the Houston County District Attorney’s Office for review.

District Attorney George Hartwig said police notified him Monday about the case, but he has not received any of the expected paperwork yet.

He said he understood the autopsy has not been completed.

“It’s too early to say anything at this point,” Hartwig said.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service