Fatal Macon fire caused by pot of grease on stove

awomack@macon.comJune 24, 2013 

A pot of grease left on the stove started a fire that killed a Macon man Saturday afternoon.

The blaze that started about 1:15 p.m. at 2325 Mafiel Drive has been ruled accidental, said Sgt. Ben Gleaton, a Macon-Bibb County fire investigator.

Marlyn Dirance, a woman who owns the brick house in the Shurling Drive area, told Macon police she had been cooking lunch for 19-year-old Brandon Johnson and forgot the pot on the stove while she was talking with Johnson’s mother on the front porch, according to a police report released Monday.

When the women noticed smoke, Dirance ran to Johnson’s bedroom. Johnson, who was autistic and unable to communicate, was lying on the floor. He fought her as she tried to help him out of the house and she had to leave him, according to the report.

A man also tried to pull Johnson from the house, but he couldn’t because of the heat. When firefighters arrived, they removed Johnson from the house and he was taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia by ambulance. He was pronounced dead just after 2 p.m.

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service