Macon man burned in backyard accident on Monroe Avenue

lfabian@macon.comApril 23, 2013 

A Macon man suffered burns while burning a bush in his backyard shortly after noon Tuesday in the 2400 block of Monroe Avenue.

Billy Hall, 61, poured gasoline on the flames, and the resulting flames burned his arms, neighbors said.

“I heard him hollering,” said the victim’s twin brother, Bobby Hall, who was inside the house when the accident happened. “I had told him to leave that bush alone, but he didn’t.”

Yolonda Mahone was across the street as the fire flared up.

“The gate was locked, so I could not get to him or nothing, but all I could do was to tell him to stop, drop and roll because he was on fire,” Mahone said. “When he poured some more gas on that fire, it seemed like the wind caught it and set him on fire. But it could have been worse than it was.”

Donnie Mercer, the Macon-Bibb County Fire Department training chief, said the gasoline vapors likely ignited, but the burns did not appear to be life-threatening.

“Don’t pour gas on an open flame,” Mercer said.

Hall apparently suffered burns on his arms and back as he tried to pat out the fire with his hands, Mahone said.

His brother accompanied him in the ambulance to The Medical Center of Central Georgia.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service