Macon symphony announces 2013-14 lineup

pramati@macon.comApril 8, 2013 

The Macon Symphony Orchestra will open its 2013-14 season in the fall with a concert titled “Magic and Enchantment” and through the year will feature programs centered on the holidays, the works of Shakespeare, Hollywood and The Eagles.

Guest conductors have been announced for each program. Ward Stare, symphony conductor and music director, last month announced he wouldn’t renew his contract when the current season ends later this month.

Sheryl Towers, president and CEO of the symphony, said Stare put together a different program for the upcoming season before he resigned, but the board decided to change it when it made the decision to use guest conductors.

“It’s an entirely different season than what we had planned,” she said.

Towers said each program is designed to work with another community organization. For example, the “Shakespeare in Love” program is being produced in conjunction with Theatre Macon.

“Magic and Enchantment” will be conducted by Shizuo Z. Kuwahara. The Oct. 12 performance features the works of Russian composers Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, Borodin and Stravisnsky, and will include an appearance by the Chorale Society of Middle Georgia.

“Home for the Holidays” is scheduled for Dec. 1 and will feature holiday music conducted by C. David Keith of Mercer University’s Townsend School of Music. Guests include the Mercer Children’s Choir.

The symphony’s annual pops show is set for Jan. 18, 2014, and will feature the music of The Eagles by Windborne Productions.

“Shakespeare in Love” on April 5 will be conducted by Yaniv Segal and feature the works of Prokofiev, Warbeck, Bernstein and Tchaikovsky.

And Macon native Roderick Cox will conduct “MSO Goes to Hollywood” on May 3, featuring music from such movies as “North by Northwest,” “Jurassic Park,” and the “Lord of the Rings” and “Harry Potter” films.

In previous years, the symphony has used guest conductors’ concerts as auditions to become the new music director, but Towers said the current season’s lineup is strictly guest performances. She said the board will decide in early fall whether to pursue a full-time conductor or continue with guest conductors the following season.

To contact writer Phillip Ramati, call 744-4334.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service