‘Dukes of Hazzard’ reunion coming back next year

wcrenshaw@macon.comApril 6, 2013 

WARNER ROBINS -- The “Dukes of Hazzard” reunion is coming back next year.

Organizer Chris Jennings is planning a news conference Tuesday to announce dates and additional details.

He said the three-day event, held in Byron a month ago, drew 53,000 people from around the country. He had originally expected 10,000 when he first conceived it.

“It went well,” he said. “But it was a learning experience.”

He said he met with Peach County Sheriff Terry Deese and other local officials last week to discuss ways it might be improved next year.

He also said he has plans to make it bigger, but is still working to finalize those details. He said he may be able to discuss that further on Tuesday. If those plans come together, he said, he expects it could draw 75,000 people next year.

The event showcased the depth of the cult following of the show that aired from 1979 to 1985. Fans came from around the country and waited in lines for hours to get autographs from seven cast members, including John Schnieder, who played Bo Duke; Tom Wopat, who played Luke Duke; and Catherine Bach, who played Daisy Duke.

Held at the old Middle Georgia Raceway, the event also featured concerts and a car show, including many replicas of the Dukes’ iconic bright-orange 1969 Dodge Charger, the General Lee.

To contact writer Wayne Crenshaw, call 256-9725.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service