Its time for the Think Pink bonus edition of Monday Morning Trivia.
How much do you know about the Cherry Blossom Festival and its history? Youre about to find out. (Ill admit I had to look up a few of these myself.)
1. Macon is home of the International Cherry Blossom Festival, and Washington, D.C., hosts the annual National Cherry Blossom Festival. Where is the home of the National Cherry Festival?
A. Yazoo City, Miss.
B. Spunky Puddle, Ohio
C. Traverse City, Mich.
D. Possum Trot, Ky.
2. Which popular talk show hostess televised her show from the festival in 1987 and 90?
A. Oprah Winfrey
B. Sally Jessy Raphael
C. Rosie ODonnell
D. Ellen DeGeneres
3. The 45th annual Friends of the Library Old Book Sale will be part of the festival on Thursday through Sunday at the Macon Centreplex. Where was the first old book sale held in 1969?
A. Armory Ballroom
B. Central City Park Long Building
C. Westgate Mall
D. Earth Lodge council chamber at Ocmulgee National Monument
4. When weatherman Willard Scott made a live morning appearance from Macon on The Today Show during the 1983 festival, what meteorological event took place?
A. Snow flurries
5. Robert McDuffie, who was one of the grand marshals in Sundays festival parade, is a renowned violinist and played during the opening community worship service at Vineville Methodist during the 2010 festival. What song did he perform?
A. I Dreamed a Dream from Les Misérables
B. The Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels
C. Thatll Be the Day by Buddy Holly
D. Ashokan Farewell from the Ken Burns documentary The Civil War
6. When James Brown appeared in concert for the 1994 festival, a ceremony was held to name what after him?
A. Walnut Street bridge across Interstate 75
B. Reflecting pool at Washington Park
C. Trail at Browns Mount
D. Godfathers Pizza of Soul
7. Which of the following venues has NOT hosted the annual balloon glow during the opening weekend of the festival?
A. Wesleyan College campus
B. Herbert Smart Airport
C. Middle Georgia State College (formerly Macon State)
D. Family Dollar parking lot
8. Macons Sabrina Sikora, an international model now living in Hong Kong, was named Cherry Blossom queen in 2002 and went on to be crowned Miss Macon two years later. What national television show did Sikora appear on in January 2005?
A. NBCs Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search
C. American Idol
D. Dancing with the Stars
9. When he was Ronald Reagans vice-president in 1984, George H. Bush attended the festival. What did Bush plant in a ceremony at Third Street Park?
B. Cherry tree
C. Time capsule
D. Copy of Dig One for the Gipper
10. What is the official shade of Glidden pink paint used by the Cherry Blossom Festival?
A. Wascaly Wabbit
B. Tweety Bird
C. Tutti Frutti
D. Surf n Turf
ANSWERS: 1, C. 2, B. 3, C. 4, A. 5, D. 6, A. 7, D. 8, A. 9, B. 10, C.
GRADES: (9-10) Festival royalty. (7-8) Yoshino machine-oh. (5-6) Pretty in pink. (3-4) Blossom possum. (0-2) You have the right to remain silent.
Reach Gris at 744-4275 or email@example.com