Report: Police called to Kroger in 2010 for incident involving Sammie Davis Jr.

awomack@macon.comFebruary 18, 2013 

Sammie Davis Jr.’s encounter with Macon police officer Clayton Sutton on Dec. 21 outside Macon’s Pio Nono Avenue Kroger wasn’t his first with police at the store.

The GBI is conducting an independent review of the December incident, which resulted in Davis, also known as “Junebug,” being fatally shot three times in the chest.

On July 7, 2010, police were called to the Kroger after a store manager was injured during a struggle between Davis and employees, according to a Macon police report obtained by The Telegraph.

Officer Billy Skinner was called to the store about 4:10 p.m. in reference to a disturbance.

A store manager told Skinner that several customers had complained about a man in the parking lot who was acting strange. Employees tried to restrain him “for the safety of the customers” and a struggle ensued, according to the report.

Another store manager received minor injuries.

When Skinner arrived, Davis complied with the officer’s requests to put his hands behind his back to be flex-cuffed, according to the report.

Emergency medical workers and members of Davis’ family soon arrived. Davis, who suffered from schizophrenia, had not been taking his medication, according to the report. He was taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia for evaluation.

The injured store manager was treated at the scene for his injuries.

Reached by phone Monday, Cheryl Davis was emotionally distraught after thinking about her dead brother.

“I’m this way all day every day,” she said.

Davis said she remembers the 2010 incident, but when asked for details, she said she needed time to regain her composure. Further attempts to contact her were unsuccessful Monday.

Sutton, the officer involved in the 2012 shooting, remains on administrative leave. He is reported to have told police he was cut during his encounter with Davis.

Rodney Wall, special agent in charge of the GBI’s Perry field office, said agents are waiting for results of DNA tests performed at the GBI’s crime lab.

Wall said he anticipates receiving the results either this week or next week. As soon as agents receive the results, the case file will be given to Bibb County District Attorney David Cooke, who will determine whether criminal charges should be pursued.

Information from Telegraph archives was used in this report. To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service