NTSB report details plane crash that killed former Coliseum head

mstucka@macon.comNovember 20, 2012 

Carol Golson and her husband, Coliseum Health System CEO Allen Golson, were running late for a meeting with a real estate agent who could help them find a new home in Florida.

Then the flight in their new-to-them Cessna 340A started getting choppy and bumpy as the plane came lower for a landing at the Ocala International Airport.

Carol Golson, the only survivor of the flight, remembers the plane lurching left twice, and two warning sirens sounding, and then the “ground was coming up on them quickly,” according to a National Transportation Safety Board report filed Monday. Carol Golson said her husband never said anything about problems with the airplane, and Allen Golson never responded to a local controller’s “altitude altitude” call as the plane came closer to the ground.

Carol Golson was in the rear of the cabin in a passenger seat.

The new NTSB “factual” report doesn’t attempt to explain what likely caused the crash. Such “probable cause” reports are typically completed within a few months of the factual report, a NTSB spokesman said Tuesday.

Carol Golson told The Telegraph on Tuesday that she hadn’t seen the report yet, but still hasn’t made sense of the crash that killed her husband and injured her.

“It makes no sense, none of it does,” she said. “It still does not even seem real. It just doesn’t.”

The new report said Allen Golson bought the airplane in December 2011, a month before the Jan. 27 crash. One of his friends, who is also a flight instructor, told the NTSB that Golson flew his new airplane precisely and smoothly. Golson previously owned a similar plane.

Golson was also an experienced pilot, with more than 1,000 hours of flight time. The NTSB investigation found the cockpit and cabin were extensively damaged in the fire that killed Golson. The landing gear appeared to be “in transit” between fully down and completely up, but was closer to retraction. The flaps -- which give the airplane additional lift at slow speeds during landings -- were also partially deployed. The report does not indicate whether Golson was still attempting to land or was aborting the effort.

The NTSB took both of the airplane’s engines to their manufacturer, then replaced components damaged in the crash and fire. Both engines started and ran normally.

Golson, 55, had agreed to become CEO of Ocala Health System, which is run by Hospital Corporation of America. He’d been with the company for about 24 years, including about seven years as CEO of Coliseum Health System in Macon.

Telegraph archives were used in this report. To contact writer Mike Stucka, call 744-4251.

The Telegraph is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service