In 1826, three years after the Georgia General Assembly chartered Macon, Dr. Myron Bartlett founded the Telegraph as a weekly newspaper. The first edition of The Telegraph appeared on Nov. 1, 1826. In 1855, Joseph Clisby became owner and editor of The Telegraph and saw it emerge as a daily newspaper after the Civil War. The Macon Telegraph merged with the Messenger in 1869. The Macon News was founded by 16-year-old Jerome Pound with an investment of $8 in 1884. W.T. Anderson published and edited the Macon Telegraph until 1940, and it was during this period that the Macon Telegraph and the Macon News were merged into the Macon Telegraph Publishing Co.
Peyton Anderson Jr. sold the newspapers in 1969 to Knight Newspapers Inc., which later merged with Ridder Publications to become Knight Ridder. The two papers merged in 1983 and became the Macon Telegraph and News.
In 1990, the paper was redesigned and renamed the Macon Telegraph. In 1997, the Macon Telegraph acquired the (Warner Robins) Daily Sun, which later merged with The Macon Telegraph as part of an expanded Houston edition. In 2005, the paper became The Telegraph, and The Telegraph Houston Edition was replaced by the weekly Houston Peach.
In June 2006, the Telegraph was acquired by the McClatchy Company with McClatchys purchase of Knight Ridder. Today, The Telegraph is a multiplatform operation that also produces macon.com, the Sun News (launched in 2008 as an expanded and revamped version of the Houston Peach), Bibb Living and Robins Rev-Up (the newspaper for Robins Air Force Base).
In August, The Telegraph news operation partnered with the journalism school at Mercer University and Georgia Public Broadcasting to create the Center for Collaborative Journalism at Mercer University. The partners share space in a new building in Mercer Village.
Distinction: 1985 Pulitzer Prize; 2008 McClatchy Presidents Award