WARNER ROBINS -- A woman died of smoke inhalation in a Fort Valley apartment fire Tuesday, authorities said.
The victim was identified as 65-year-old Charlie Mae Rogers, said Fort Valley Public Safety Director Lawrence Spurgeon.
We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss of life, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family, Spurgeon said.
Peach County Coroner Kerry Rooks said Rogers died from smoke inhalation.
Fort Valley and Peach County firefighters were dispatched to the Valley Pines Apartments complex on Brooks Boulevard about 11 a.m. Rogers lived in Apartment 10.
Firefighters found her unresponsive in her upstairs bedroom of the two-story apartment, authorities said. They carried her out of the apartment, and she was pronounced dead at the scene, Spurgeon said.
The fire apparently originated from the kitchen stove, which caught on fire and spread, Rooks said.
The GBI is assisting Fort Valley authorities in the fire and death investigation, Spurgeon said.
To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559.