ATHENS - Georgia has released its updated depth chart in advance of Saturday's season opener. You can read it in here.
There aren't any major surprises if you've been following the team this preseason. Here's what stands out:
- The pecking order at tailback, for what it's worth, is Ken Malcome, Todd Gurley, Keith Marshall and Richard Samuel. But it's Gurley OR Marshal OR Samuell, so that is probably just an alphabetical order. Look for all of them all to get carries on Saturday, and the pecking order should change after that.
- Samuel is listed as the second-team fullback, behind former walk-on Merritt Hall. Freshman Quayvon Hicks is listed third. Zander Ogletree, the first-teamer in spring practice, isn't on the depth chart.
- At cornerback, Malcolm Mitchell and Branden Smith are listed as the starters. Damian Swann is listed as Smith's backup, and Devin Bowman is Mitchell's backup.
- But lest you think Mitchell is forgotten on offense, he is listed third on the depth chart at split end, behind Marlon Brown and Michael Bennett. On the other side, at flanker, it's Tavarres King to start, with Chris Conley and Rantavious Wooten as co-second-teamers.
- No real surprises on the offensive line. John Theus is the starter at right tackle, with Watts Dantzler behind him. The backups are mildly interesting: Mark Beard, and not Austin Long, is the main backup at left tackle. The backups at center, behind David Andrews, are starting guards Dallas Lee and Chris Burnette. Freshman Greg Pyke is the listed backup at right guard, rather than Dantzler. (But I'd still expect Dantzler to play if something happened there.)
- Yes, Bacarri Rambo and Alec Ogletree are first-teamers. Sanders Commings and Chase Vasser are not on the depth chart, and their two-game suspensions have been announced. I wouldn't put much stock in that. Last year Rambo was on the depth chart before the opener, but he was suspended.
- Ramik Wilson is listed as the first-teamer at outside linebacker, or the "other linebacker spot opposite Jarvis Jones." Freshman Josh Dawson is Wilson's backup.
- Cornelius Washington, who has been working some at OLB, his old position, is still the starter at defensive end, ahead of Ray Drew.
- The freshman specialists - punter Collin Barber and kicker Marshall Morgan - are indeed listed as the first-teamers.
- Branden Smith is listed first at both punt return and kick return. Mitchell is listed as his backup at punt return, but at kick return it's listed as Smith or Mitchell.